The BEST (Healthy) Banana Muffins
Banana muffins – savory, sweet and altogether delicious. But healthy banana muffins – not so easy. I grew up making the classic Pillsbury banana bread with my mom and this recipe is a Weight Watcher’s friendly version! To make these healthy banana muffins I substituted adding sugar for my date paste to add fiber and used unsweetened apple sauce instead of butter (0 points instead of an additional 4 per serving – CRAZY!) These dairy free muffins are high in fiber, potassium – great for making ahead on a Sunday and having for on the go breakfasts all week.
To make these gluten free: Substitute all-purpose flour and rolled oats for your favorite gluten free substitute! I personally love Cup4Cup for gluten free flour. In my baking, I’ve found that it perfectly substitutes for all-purpose flour in a 1:1 ratio (hence the name!!). My choice of gluten free oats is Bob’s Red Mill.
Hope you love these healthy banana muffins as much as I do, enjoy!
The Best (Healthy) Banana Muffins Recipe
Makes 16 muffins
Total time: 1 hour
These banana muffins are SO easy to make. A healthy version of the classic recipe you love - PLUS they are only 4 Weight Watchers Smartpoints!
1 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1 1⁄2 cups dry oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, 190 degrees C and spray two muffin tins with PAM.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare your date paste. Dates replace adding sugar in this recipe, a great way to save yourself some points!
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until mushy but still lumpy. Using an electric mixer^ (or your strong arms) beat the bananas and date paste until well blended.
- Add applesauce, eggs and vanilla to wet mixture, mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and fold the batter until just blended.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, the muffins won’t rise too much, so it is fine to fill the tins to the top. There is a picture below for reference.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the muffins come out clean. If you gently poke one with your finger, it should bounce back to shape. Let cool for 10 minutes, enjoy!
- Muffins keep for a week.
^ I prefer using an electric mixer for this recipe, as the incorporation of the air from the mixer makes the muffins light and spongey. If you do not use an electric mixer, your bananas will be just as delicious – just a bit more dense 🙂