Recently, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. After two days of eating ice cream, gelato, and frozen yogurt I knew it was time for a change. Henry and I had traveled back from Montauk a day before my surgery and picked up some apples from one of the farm stands. I was so upset that I couldn’t dive into them! Fresh apples from the farm, what could be better?
We all know that apples don’t stay fresh for too long, but luckily for me I was in a fall-festive mood and decided to make some applesauce. (There’s some bourbon in there too, you know, to help with the pain ).
Whether you went apple picking and realized you have too much bounty, or are just running out of ways to eat that 3 pound bag of apples you probably shouldn’t have purchased from the grocery store – this applesauce is perfect for you. Plus! you can use this unsweetened applesauce for a plethora of different recipes, like my Healthy Banana Muffins!
Weight Watchers SmartPoints: 0 SmartPoints
Unsweetened Slow Cooker Applesauce
Makes 8 cups
Total Time on HIGH: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time on LOW: 8 hours, 30 minutes
An easy prep it and forget it homemade applesauce that the whole family will love!
- 6-8 apples, peeled
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup of your favorite bourbon
- 2 cups of cold water
- Juice of one whole lemon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Turn your slow cooker/crock pot on high. I’m always a fan of letting the crock pot heat up while I’m prepping.
- Chop apples into 1 inch chunks, it’s fine if some are larger than others. Add to crock pot.
- Add water and bourbon to the slow cooker. Try your best to equally cover the apples with the liquid while pouring it in.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, lemon juice and salt to the pot. Cover with lid.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours.^
- After 2 hours, the mixture should be bubbling. Open the lid and stir. You shouldn’t need to press down on the mixture to break down the apple chunks to a puree. After you’ve stirred the mixture, return the lid to the pot.
- Change temperature setting to LOW. Cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, remove the cinnamon stick. Let cool and enjoy!^^
^ If you are leaving this to cook for the day or night, place the temperature setting on LOW. You can stir the mixture when it is completed if you feel the apples haven’t broken down to your liking. ^^ Recipe lasts 1 week in the refrigerator.